Monday, December 20, 2010

Crossfit Competition and My Observations

So, this weekend I participated in a CrossFit competition at HyperFitUsa. The event was a blast, I had a great time, and I was able to witness some awe inspiring performances. For example, I saw a woman clean and jerk her body weight. Now that's impressive.

I could go into detail about the events, but I don't really feel like it. The description of the day's events can be found on HyperFitUsa's homepage. They were challenging, and tough, and I did my best on each event, which is what matters most.

Now, I'm not just talking about a grunt of effort and saying, "Oh...I did my best." I'm talking about digging deep, fighting through mental fatigue, shortness of breath, back pain, the "I don't know how to go on" type of thoughts. Everyone has them. I know I do. When I got ready for the first workout, I was thinking to myself, "What am I doing here? I could be at home relaxing right now."

The thing is, when we do something, no matter what it is, we don't have to wonder about that anymore. If you go out and take Filipino Martial Arts for a year, you don't have to wonder anymore if you can do some of the cool moves you see in the movies, like "The Book of Eli". Because now you know you can. And so it goes with me. I don't wonder about things I can do. I did my heaviest squat snatch at the competition, after doing 50 deadlifts, 40 burpees, and 30 toes to bar. Meaning I set a personal record in a lift that I am weak and have little training in. That's success. I failed to finish the workout in the specified time, but it's still a success. Prior to Saturday, I had never snatched over 65 pounds. During the final event on Saturday, I struggled and struggled to get the snatch up at 95 pounds. I just kept going for it and going for it. If I didn't get it before time ran it, so be it. But I kept trying, and I did get it. Two snatches at 95 pounds.

I'm not ashamed to admit I was a little scared heading into the fourth workout. I was tired, and more than a little fatigued. 50 deadlifts at 225 was a little daunting, especially followed by 40 burpees. I could have backed out at any point, obviously. If I had, I would never know the things that I know now.

There are plenty of things in our everyday lives that are challenging, and plenty of people who choose to shrink from that challenge. It's okay to feel afraid. Fear is a natural human emotion. Once a person moves beyond that fear, however, and goes on to accomplish the things they were afraid of doing, true growth occurs. When we, as human beings, stretch ourselves and push ourselves beyond what we'd though possible, physically or mentally, in the gym, the karate school, or at work, that is when we begin to truly grow and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment